[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/18019823/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/f3bf57/” width=”100%” height=”90″ scrolling=”no” class=”podcast-class” frameborder=”0″ placement=”top” use_download_link=”use_download_link” download_link_text=”” primary_content_url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/sprintingtosuccess/Dr_Mark_Goulston.mp3″ theme=”custom” custom_color=”f3bf57″ libsyn_item_id=”18019823″ /]In this episode, Esmie and Mark discuss:
- Challenges Mark faced growing up, such as a perforated abdomen that almost killed him, growing up with a depressing background and suffering from depression.
- Mark’s most significant accomplishment in life (dropping out of medical school twice and finishing and preventing others from committing suicide).
- How to know when someone is depressed (Their behaviour changes, they want to be alone, and most of the time, they seem sad.)
- Why standing up for a friend could help them to stop being suicidal?
- How Mark, a suicide specialist, saves lives by listening, showing love, believing in people that feel very low in life and need to know that everything is going to be okay eventually.
- Mark teaches why calling upon someone who believes in you and having a conversation with them can help you when you’re feeling down.
- Life is hard, and we will miss the good days if we give up on them.
- Never give up on life because there is always someone that’s going to need you.
- You can know when someone is depressed when there is a drastic change in behaviour for the worst.
- You can save a life by listening and showing kindness along with empathy.
- You can overcome sadness by talking with someone that believes in you.
“I asked her what she was thinking and she looked at me then said. ‘If you can really understand why I might have to kill myself to get out of this pain. Maybe I won’t need to.'” – Mark Goulston
Dr. Mark Goulston’s mission is to make the world safe for humanity, one conversation at a time. He does that through speaking, coaching and training as one of the world’s foremost experts on empathic listening with his book, “Just Listen,” becoming the top book on listening in the world.
Contact Dr. Mark Goulston:
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Did you subscribe to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. It would help if you didn’t miss an episode. https://apple.co/2Xk75Or Listen on I heart radio